Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Unwrapping a Guest Review by Connie Fischer of THE DUKE OF DISTRACTION, an Untouchables novel by Darcy Burke


Greetings my darling readers, I know I’ve been remiss in providing you reviews of good reads this past year and I apologize. Life has a hold on me which does not allow me much reading time. I have tried to make up for that in publishing my own good reads for you and I hope you’ve given them a try. So to make up for my neglect, I will be offering up guest reviews for you enjoy. I hope to be back reviewing for you soon but in the meantime, I hope you’ll enjoy my dear friend, Connie Fischer’s reviews to guide you to good reads. Enjoy and Happy Reading!

I present to you a guest review of THE DUKE OF DISTRACTION by Darcy Burke, published February 26, 2019.


Blurb for THE DUKE OF DISTRACTION:

After witnessing how love embittered his uncle and broke his father, Felix Havers, Earl of Ware vows never to love. He conceals his emotions behind a wall of wit and charm, and is celebrated as the master of entertainments—parties, picnics, races. When his best friend’s wallflower sister needs to find a husband, he promises to make her the toast of London... without losing his heart.

Miss Sarah Colton has given up on the pursuit of marriage. When her parents learn she intends to open a millinery shop, they give her an ultimatum: choose a husband or they’ll do it for her. She accepts Felix’s help, never imagining their scheme will ignite a mutual attraction neither of them dare indulge. But when tragedy strikes, can they heal each other or will the demons of Felix’s past consume them both?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Connie’s Review:

Miss Sarah Colton and her friend, Lavinia, the Marchioness of Northam are enjoying themselves at the races. There, both men and women race their phaetons. Felix Havers, Earl of Ware is the facilitator of the races. But when a woman is injured when her phaeton overturns, Felix is urged, and agrees to stop the races permanently.

Sarah is now in her fourth Season and the pressure to marry is intense. Sarah likes to bet on the races hoping to earn enough money to support herself as a spinster should it come to that. Her plan is to open a shop called Farewell’s along with her friend, Dolly. There, they will design and sell hats.

Returning home from an outing, Sarah is summoned to her father’s office where Felix is standing. Her father suggests that Sarah and Felix marry as he feels they are an excellent match. Both Sarah and Felix are embarrassed with Sarah refusing and leaving the room. Later, Sarah apologizes to Felix for her parents. He says he will do his best to find a husband for her.

Felix’s mother died giving birth to him and his father grieved her death for the rest of his life unable to show love for his son. Having experienced a childhood where he was deprived of affection, Felix feels that finding someone to love is not in his future.

Felix plans a house party at his home featuring phaeton races and includes a number of bachelors hoping to find a husband for Sarah. There, a kissing game ends up changing the way Sarah and Felix feel about each other. Is it possible for Felix to learn how to love someone?

I really liked this romance. Sarah and Felix are great characters and perfect for one another. The only thing I questioned was the kissing game they play at the house party. That sounded a bit juvenile to me, but after researching it, it truly was a game played at Regency parties although slightly different from the one played at Felix’s party. I hope readers will enjoy this book as much as I did.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

THE DUKE OF DISTRACTION, an Untouchables novel by Darcy Burke, self-published, available now at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobobooks.


No comments: