Thursday, February 28, 2019

Unwrapping a Guest Review by Connie Fischer of MISS COMPTON'S CHRISTMAS ROMANCE by Sophie Barnes


Greetings my darling readers, I know I’ve been remiss in providing you reviews of good reads this past year and I apologize. Life has a hold on me which does not allow me much reading time. I have tried to make up for that in publishing my own good reads for you and I hope you’ve given them a try. So to make up for my neglect, I will be offering up guest reviews for you enjoy. I hope to be back reviewing for you soon but in the meantime, I hope you’ll enjoy my dear friend, Connie Fischer’s reviews to guide you to good reads. Enjoy and Happy Reading!

I present to you a guest review of MISS COMPTON’S CHRISTMAS ROMANCE by Sophie Barnes, published December 18, 2018.


Blurb for MISS COMPTON’S CHRISTMAS ROMANCE:

Sometimes playing pretend can lead to the perfect romance…

When Miss Leonora Compton decides to go to Sheffield and spend Christmas with her sister, she finds herself travelling with a man she cannot afford to like. But as their journey progresses she enters an unexpected partnership with him and realizes that things aren't what they seem. Because Mr. Dalton is not only tempting. He may in fact be precisely what she needs.

When Philip believes his travel companion requires protection, he immediately steps in to help by pretending to be her husband. For although the last thing he wants is to form an attachment, Philip is irrevocably drawn to the stunning red-head. And as they become better acquainted and their paths increasingly intertwined, he must decide if risking heartache again is worth the chance of finding true love.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Connie’s Review:

London

Miss Leonora Compton, age 24, knows she will probably never marry so her father has agreed to let her use her dowry to open a shop. Her friend, Kathy, daughter of a local merchant, has come to work for her. Together, they raise vegetables, fruits, and flowers in the hothouse attached to their store. 

Leonora’s younger sister is married to a viscount and she is going to visit her for two weeks at Christmas at their home in Yorkshire. Even though she feels she should stay in London to help run the shop, Kathy insists that she go visit her sister and her new baby. But before she departs for Yorkshire, a man comes into the shop saying that he won her building from her landlord in a card game and is now going to charge an enormous amount of money for rent.

Leonora has bravely decided to travel alone on public transport. A handsome man named Philip Dalton helps stow her valise in the carriage. When another male passenger tries to make a pass at her, Philip says she is his wife. As they continue their journey, Leonora learns that Philip is a widower and owner of several large shops in London. Along the way, they learn more about one another and enjoy their time together.

When they reach their destination, they are both surprised to find that Philip is a good friend of Leonora’s sister and he has also been invited to their home for Christmas. Oh my! What a stroke of luck for both of them. Their time together is fun and her sister and husband seem to want them to spend time together. 

I enjoyed this novella and the characters of Leonora and Philip. They were written to be perfect for one another. This is a very clever story and I know readers will love it. I’m a huge fan of Sophie Barnes and she never fails to write a great story!

Copy provided by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

MISS COMPTON’S CHRISTMAS ROMANCE by Sophie Barnes, self-published, available now at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobobooks.

No comments: