Friday, September 6, 2019

Unwrapping a Guest Review by Connie Fischer of NEVER HAVE I EVER WITH A DUKE, a Spitfire Society novel by Darcy Burke

Greetings my darling readers, I know I’ve been remiss in providing you reviews of good reads this past year and I apologize. Life has a hold on me which does not allow me much reading time. I have tried to make up for that in publishing my own good reads for you and I hope you’ve given them a try. So to make up for my neglect, I will be offering up guest reviews for you enjoy. I hope to be back reviewing for you soon but in the meantime, I hope you’ll enjoy my dear friend, Connie Fischer’s reviews to guide you to good reads. Enjoy and Happy Reading!

I present to you a guest review of NEVER HAVE I EVER WITH A DUKE, a Spitfire Society novel by Darcy Burke, published August 27, 2019.


Blurb for NEVER HAVE I EVER WITH A DUKE:

Meet the smart, independent women who've decided they don't need Society's rules, their families' expectations, or, most importantly, a husband. But just because they don't need a man doesn't mean they might not want one...

Graham Kinsley is shocked when he inherits a debt-ridden dukedom, and now he has just one month to repay a loan. He needs an heiress—or find a way to recoup the former duke's losses. When he meets the alluring Arabella, he's entranced. Unfortunately, she's as bankrupt as he is, but if they work together they may be able to recover their fortunes. Though if they keep stealing kisses, they may lose their hearts instead.

Arabella Stoke can't afford an attraction to the penniless duke who has vowed to help rescue her family from financial devastation. She needs to find a wealthy husband before her father succumbs to the stress of losing everything. However, as Graham brings them closer to finding the swindler who stole their money, the war between what they want and what they need may ruin them both.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Connie’s Review:

London - 1819

Arabella Stoke’s father is not well and their family’s financial circumstances have dropped significantly. Her father had made an unwise investment with a man and now finds himself swindled out of all of his money. Her mother spends a lot of time at her husband’s bedside.

When Arabella is out walking her mother’s dog one morning, he gets away from her. Running after him results in her accidentally knocking into a gentleman. She is dressed as a servant so people won’t know that she is reduced to walking her own dog. The gentleman she ran into very kindly helps her look for and find the dog.

Arabella is finding it difficult to be without money. She had loved being part of the Spitfire Society which is a group of young spinster women who prefer to stay single, live in a home of their own and live life as they want. Her two friends, Phoebe Lennox and Jane Pemberton are happy in their lives as young spinster women.

Arabella’s mother is urging her to find a wealthy man and get married right away as the family needs the money. That is certainly easier said than done.

Graham Kinsley, the seventh Duke of Halstead, inherited a pile of debt along with his title. Halstead Manor is not bringing in any money and the mortgage on Brixton Park, just outside London, will soon be foreclosed on. The previous duke had made some very bad investments and after going through the paperwork he left behind, it appears he had been swindled out of his money. Therefore, Graham has no other option but to marry an heiress.

Graham and Arabella meet again at a ball and she confides about her father. He confides that he, too, is poor. No matter, they are attracted to one another. Graham knows that without selling Brixton Park, he won’t have any money with which to fix up and keep Halstead Manor. He wants Arabella to have a good life and knows he cannot offer her much.

Graham has learned that the man who swindled the previous duke and also Arabella’s father, along with countless others is Piers Tibbord. Now, Graham has made it his mission to find this man and make him return the monies that he stole from people. However, he only wishes he had the money to offer for Arabella.

I really liked this story. Both Arabella and Graham are strong people and make a wonderful couple. Boo-Hiss to the man who swindled money from all those people. However, those people were stupid to fall for his get rich quick schemes. I wanted to plant my foot in Arabella’s father’s butt for lying in bed wasting away at his stupidity with his wife and daughter waiting on him. Gah! Get up and be a man! Take charge and get your money back, weakling! I guess my comments prove that the author’s story got my ire up! Well done, Darcy Burke!

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

NEVER HAVE I EVER WITH A DUKE, a Spitfire Society novel by Darcy Burke, indie pub, available now in ebook and print at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobobooks

No comments: