Thursday, August 29, 2019

Unwrapping a Guest Review by Connie Fischer of A WIFE WORTH INVESTING IN, a Penniless Brides of Convenience novel by Marguerite Kaye

Greetings my darling readers, I know I’ve been remiss in providing you reviews of good reads this past year and I apologize. Life has a hold on me which does not allow me much reading time. I have tried to make up for that in publishing my own good reads for you and I hope you’ve given them a try. So to make up for my neglect, I will be offering up guest reviews for you enjoy. I hope to be back reviewing for you soon but in the meantime, I hope you’ll enjoy my dear friend, Connie Fischer’s reviews to guide you to good reads. Enjoy and Happy Reading!

I present to you a guest review of A WIFE WORTH INVESTING IN, a Penniless Brides of Convenience novel by Marguerite Kaye, published May 21, 2019.


Blurb for A WIFE WORTH INVESTING IN:

A convenient proposal…

Makes a scandalous match!

Part of Penniless Brides of Convenience: Knocking on Owen Harrington’s door, impoverished and desperate Miss Phoebe Brannagh wonders if London’s most eligible catch will recognize her. But injured and reclusive, Owen is no longer a carefree man. And he’s in urgent need of a convenient wife! Owen’s shock proposal allows Phoebe to fulfill her life’s ambition to open a restaurant…but his heated kisses tempt her to hope for a new dream—marriage, for real!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Connie’s Review:

Paris - 1828

Owen Harrington, age 26, is enjoying his time in Paris. While taking in a late night walk, he steps into a bar for a drink. Seeing a lovely, well dressed young woman being harassed by two men. He steps in saying he is the woman’s beau. The men then leave. Thanking him for rescuing her, Owen joins her for a drink. It turns out she is Irish and her name is Phoebe Brannagh. She is waiting for Monsieur Pascal Solignac, a celebrated chef at La Grande Taverne de Londres. His cooking is considered to be the best in Paris. Phoebe works at the restaurant in the patisserie station and is proud to be he only female in the brigade because she is passionate about her work. Her sister, Eloise, is the Countess of Fearnoch and Phoebe has a twin sister named Estelle. All three sisters were cared for by their Aunt Kate, Lady Elmswood, after they lost their parents and brother. Now, Phoebe’s dream is to work side-by-side with Pascal and hopefully buy the restaurant using funds left to her by her father.

Owen is a very wealthy young man who has yet to find a purpose for his life. Phoebe tells him it is essential that he find his purpose. They agree to meet up in two years’ time and see what he has learned about himself.

Two years later after waiting for Owen to show up, Phoebe thinks he has forgotten their agreement. She travels to London and visits his townhome. He is now broken in body and unhappy in life. He had had an accident that left him with a limp, scars, and in pain. Phoebe’s plan had not gone as planned either. Pascal had taken her money and discarded her. Now, she is asking Owen knows of someone who needs a cook. Owen is happy to see her and they end up getting married. He encourages her to continue with her dream of owning and running her own restaurant. She is thrilled and they are happy together, but there are still some medical problems that Owen has and he won’t talk about it. Phoebe is so worried and wonders if she should scrap the restaurant plans. Will there be some way she can get her husband to trust her and open up to her about the devils he is facing and can help him heal?

Oh yes! Marguerite Kaye has done it. Paris and food. It just doesn’t get any better than this. I happen to know that the author is an excellent cook so I know that this was a fun book for her to write. I’m hoping that one day she will write that cookbook I’m waiting for. But back to this lovely book. I really cared for Owen and Phoebe. They both have big hearts and generous souls. I hope many readers will read about their story and enjoy it as much as I did.

Copy provided by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

A WIFE WORTH INVESTING IN, a Penniless Brides of Convenience novel by Marguerite Kaye, Harlequin Historical, available now in ebook and print at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobobooks

No comments: